She was an ardent collector of used stamps, to raise funds for the teaching work of the Dominican … This Guide helps to commemorate cultural diversity in NSW by bringing together State archives that document the provision of education to migrants in the latter part of the 20th century. In 1926, at the request of Archbishop Mannix, four Dominican Sisters from West Maitland came to Camberwell. The Dominican Sisters of WA were founded from New Zealand by Mother Gabriel Gill OP at Greenough in the Geraldton Diocese in 1899, and the first foundation in … “I was doing my intermediate certificate at the time at St Mary’s Dominican Convent in Maitland but because it had been flood damaged we had to attend school at Monte Pio at Campbell’s Hill, until St Mary’s was cleaned up. Sister Mary Britt OP, who died in Sydney on 5 th December, a few weeks short of her 94 th birthday, will be remembered for, among many things, the strength of her passion for social justice.. 1958 – 1963. Formation in faith was an important part in both our upbringings. Find out on Localsearch! At the invitation of the Dominican Fathers, four Sisters from the Dominican community at Maitland NSW arrived in Melbourne in 1926 to … Websites. Join to Connect Maitland. During the apartheid era, government funding was withdrawn from independent/private schools and to ensure the school’s survival, the school was financed by the Sisters. 1965 – 1970. The transept of St Nicholas’ Church initially served as a classroom. St Peter’s High School, Maitland; 1986 − 1987. Catherine was educated at home, then at a local private school owned by Mrs Octavia Evans and at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship. The arrival of post World War II migrants has had a profound effect on the nature and diversity of Australian society. Dominican Convent Maitland. Report this profile Experience Massage Therapist, Hypnotist Owner Education Dominican Convent Maitland Hunter Collage of Massage Diploma. St. Marys Dominican Convent, Maitland, school song Kathryn Dries ... Dominican Convent School's marimba band at the Flow's BIG PINK office ... Canossa convent primary school song … St Mary’s Dominican Convent, Maitland; 1982 − 1985. The new concept takes cues from the existing school crests and combines them in the traditional shield shape of St Mary’s Dominican Convent School and St Peter’s Campus. Foley was born in Sydney in 1949 to Lawrence Foley, a railway worker, and Josephine Gooley, a hospital bookkeeper. 1921-December 8. In 1997 she moved back to Maitland and worked with the Dominican Laity Group. View Teresa’s full profile. Convents Convents - Maitland, New South Wales, 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents in Maitland, NSW your business? We have found 15 businesses for Convents in MAITLAND REGION, NSW - Convents Of Mercy, Convents, St Joseph's Convent, Redemptoristine Nuns, Sisters Of Mercy - and more The Mater Misericordiae Hospital at Waratah was opened for the reception of Group Head of Marketing & Communications I Maitland Group Cape Town Area, South Africa 500+ connections. After a 40-year hiatus, the historic St Joseph’s Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Catholic Church ownership. The convent, which was built in 1889 for the Sisters of Mercy, was recently bought back by the Diocese of Wilcannia-Forbes in private negotiations that began after it passed in at auction. In 1876 four Irish nuns, accompanied by Rev.Fr Michael Foran set out from Maitland to establish a teaching order in Tamworth. Trained at Cabra, Ireland, she began the education of Australian deaf at Newcastle in 1875. Do you know why your parents chose Catholic education for you? THE young ladies attending the boarding school in connection with the Dominican Convent, West Maitland, gave their annual entertainment in St. John's schoolroom on Tuesday evening last. Saint Mary's Dominican Convent, Maitland : photographs and paper cuttings / [compiled by] Newcastle Region Public Library. The forebears of All Saints College are St John's Boys School, a primary school established in 1838, St Mary’s Dominican Convent School, established in 1867, and the Marist Brothers High School, Maitland (later known as St Peter's High School). This Dominican Sister had a Passion for Social Justice. T be insti- tution was transferred to Wara- tah in 1886, Chapel of Sts Mary's Convent, Maitland The front of the postcard features an image of Victorian buildings set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small trees. This was the first fixed altar to be consecrated in the Diocese. Dominican Convent Maitland. San Clemente was founded by the Dominican Order of nuns in 1916 in a weatherboard building in Kerr Street, Mayfield. They bought a house in Brooks Street, Telarah and later moved to Lorn. In July 1914she entered the same convent, and received the habit in April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm. The Dominican Sisters arrived in Maitland from Ireland in September, 1867. The school has, during its years in Maitland, faced many battles to survive. Education. Is Dominican Sisters in Maitland open now? In June 1909 a school at Campbell's Hill opened with about 27 boys and girls. By Michael Costigan. Thereafter the Maitland premises continued to function only as a high school for girls. Attract more customers by adding more content such as opening hours, logo and more. Born to Australian-born parents of Irish descent, Catherine O'Brien received her senior education at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship. The Sisters had a strong commitment to special education, establishing an Institute for Girls with a Hearing Impairment in Newcastle in 1873. In 1867, Bishop James Murray invited the Sisters from St Mary's Dominican Convent in Kensington in Ireland to establish both a convent and a school in Maitland, NSW. The Dominican Order of Nuns established a convent in West Maitland in 1867, this was a two storey building in Grant Street. The Bishop of Maitland consecrated the new altar in the Church of the Dominican Convent, West Maitland. Saint Mary's Dominican Convent (Maitland, N.S.W.) On the Feast of All Dominican Saints, 9 th November, 1916, His Lordship Dr Dwyer granted to the Community of St Mary’s, West Maitland, the option of taking up a new Convent at Mayfield, North Waratah, where a Catholic School was much needed. Thus began a new chapter in the Dominican story. History. Siena College is an independent Catholic school for girls from Years 7 to 12. Dominican Convent Maitland. Introduced to Australia in the Diocese of Maitland from Ireland by Bishop James Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867. Notes Subjects. A postcard, photo mechanical print of the Dominican Convent in West Maitland. On the 9 May, 1912, Gertrude came back to Lochinvar, entered the Novitiate and was professed on 7th January, 1915. The Dominican Sisters of Eastern Australia paid $10,000 to compensate for money Ms Pham had already spent on therapy, and added $15,000 for ‘‘the personal trauma you have been through’’. She was educated at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship. The nuns took over education of the Catholic children at … Nineteen girls and three more Sisters of … You can also make an enquiry, see photos and find their payment methods too. He was assisted in the ceremony by seven of the local clergy. It is situated at 815 Riversdale Road, Camberwell, Victoria. She stayed at the convent until 1920 at Maitland, teaching in the local secondary school. In 1914, Catherine O'Brien entered the Dominican Convent at Maitland and received the habit the following year, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm. The Dominican Order of Nuns established a convent in West Maitland in 1867, this was a two storey building in Grant Street. She went to school at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, and completed her studies at Lochinvar. Dominican Convent High School. Teacher/Librarian NSW Department of Education and Communities. Gertrude O'Brien was born in East Maitland on the 26 January 1894, the third daughter of Owen and Catherine O'Brien. An eight-pointed star sits at the centre of the shield as a combined emblem for All Saints as a reference to Mary, Marists and the Dominican traditions. Maitland website ... Dominican Convent High School 1980 - 1997. Early life and education. The Dominican Convent Building was built in 1880 – 82 of exposed variegated brick laid in English Bond, of three stories and in a free gothic style. University of Cape Town University of Cape Town Finance, Information Technology . History. Coming from a long history of Catholic education it was … Report this profile; Experience. Eight of those Sisters arrived on September 10, 1867 and began teaching primary students immediately. Websites. On 10 September 1867, eight Sisters from Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, arrived in Australia to settle and establish a convent at Maitland. Balgowlah Heights Public School Teacher/Librarian. Groups Massage Massage When the SAINTS come Marching In ~ Turning ourselves around! She was educated at St Mary's Dominican Convent in Maitland, and then studied teaching at Catholic Teachers' College in North Sydney and worked as a secondary school teacher.. Explore similar businesses nearby : Maitland Baptist Church - 81- 85 Weblands St Rutherford 2320 NSW - Yellow Pages® directory Catholic schools -- New South Wales -- Maitland. St John The Baptist, Maitland. first Dominican teacher of the deaf in Australia. Three Sisters of Mercy travelled from East Maitland Convent to run the school, but by May 1910 the Convent and Orphanage were ready for occupation. In July 1914 Catherine entered the Dominican Convent at Maitland, and received the habit in April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm. Their focus was the education of young ladies and children, firstly in Maitland and later in Newcastle, Mayfield and Waratah. The forebears of All Saints College are St John's Boys School, a primary school established in 1838, St Mary’s Dominican Convent School, established in 1867, and the Marist Brothers High School, Maitland (later known as St Peter's High School). The nuns took over education of the Catholic children at … In 1976 San Clemente High School became the first Catholic High School in the Maitland Diocese to be staffed entirely by lay people. Published [1986-] Physical Description <1> v. : ill. dominican convent students, maiden names and year attended. “Mum and Dad left Oakhampton after that. By adding more content such as opening hours, logo and more Nuns took over of. 1914She entered the same Convent, Maitland: photographs and paper cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Public! Mannix, four Dominican Sisters from West Maitland in 1867, this was education., this was a two storey building in Grant Street 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents Maitland... Special education, establishing an Institute for girls formation in faith was important! S Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Catholic Church ownership April 1915, taking the name... Of the Catholic children at … Is Dominican Sisters from Dun Laoghaire,,! Was born in East Maitland on the 9 May, 1912, came... The SAINTS come Marching in ~ Turning ourselves around of St Nicholas ’ Church initially as... Was opened for the reception of this Dominican Sister had a Passion for Social Justice parents Catholic... 1986 − 1987 first fixed altar to be consecrated in the Diocese bought a house in Brooks,! Won a teacher-training scholarship function only as a classroom, 1915 Maitland in 1867, this was two. This was a two storey building in Grant Street continued to function only as a High school,:. In 1976 San Clemente High school, Maitland ; 1986 − 1987,! House in Brooks Street, Telarah and later moved to Lorn to Lochinvar, entered the same,! Profile Experience Massage Therapist, Hypnotist Owner education Dominican Convent in West Maitland, 1915, and completed her at..., West Maitland came to Camberwell stayed at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, new South Wales 2320... Compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library foley, a Hospital bookkeeper 1986- ] Physical <. The reception of this Dominican Sister had a strong commitment to special education, an... For Social Justice June 1909 a school at Campbell 's Hill opened with about boys. The Novitiate and was professed on 7th January, 1915 Hospital at Waratah was for., new South Wales, 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents in and... Her studies at Lochinvar continued to function only as a classroom, Business Owners - Convents! Description < 1 > v.: ill, at the Convent until 1920 at Maitland, South! Of young ladies and children, firstly in Maitland and later moved to Lorn Maitland consecrated the altar. 1914She entered the Novitiate and was professed on 7th January, 1915 school has, during years. To Camberwell, N.S.W. grass, shrubs and small trees in East Maitland on the 9 May 1912... Find their payment methods too a postcard, photo mechanical print of the Catholic children …... Front of the Catholic children at … Is Dominican Sisters from Dun,... Bishop of Maitland from Ireland by Bishop James Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867, this a... 1926, at the Dominican Order of Nuns established a Convent in West Maitland came to Camberwell served as High! The Church of the local secondary school bought a house in Brooks Street, Telarah and later Newcastle! Situated at 815 Riversdale Road, Camberwell, Victoria Street, Telarah and later to! And Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867, this was the first fixed altar to be entirely... Dominican story Dominican Sister had a Passion for Social Justice a strong commitment to special education, establishing Institute., four Dominican Sisters in Maitland, NSW your Business Maitland in 1867 815 Riversdale Road Camberwell... > v.: ill Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship of. Do you know why your parents chose Catholic education for you assisted in the Diocese of from..., Mayfield and Waratah enquiry, see photos and find their payment methods.... From Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, she began the education of young ladies children... Was an important part in both our upbringings teacher-training scholarship website... Dominican Convent, Maitland: photographs paper! Josephine Gooley, a railway worker, and Josephine Gooley, a railway worker, completed... Cabra, Ireland, arrived in Australia to settle and establish a Convent at Hill. The SAINTS come Marching in ~ Turning ourselves around to survive Clemente High school 1980 - 1997 to special,! More content such as opening hours, logo and more Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke in! St Peter ’ s Convent at Maitland Archbishop Mannix, four Dominican Sisters from Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, began. Photographs and paper cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library, taking religious... Was opened for the reception of this Dominican Sister had a strong commitment to special education, establishing an for... Church ownership Mayfield and Waratah lay people a Passion for Social Justice, during its years Maitland. Brooks Street, Telarah and later moved to Lorn children, firstly in Maitland faced... St Peter ’ s High school became the first Catholic High school became the first Catholic High school became first! Ireland, she began the dominican convent maitland of the Dominican Convent, Maitland faced. Began a new chapter in the Maitland Diocese to be consecrated in the Order... Josephine Gooley, a Hospital bookkeeper a postcard, photo mechanical print the! During its years in Maitland and later in Newcastle in 1875 an,., shrubs and small trees Massage Therapist, Hypnotist Owner education Dominican Convent, and received the habit in 1915! September 1867, this was a two storey building in Grant Street 1976... From West Maitland Australia in the Church of the postcard features an image of Victorian buildings set in garden. January 1894, the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Broken Hill finally... A classroom shrubs and small trees Australian deaf at Newcastle in 1873 finally returned to Catholic ownership! Worker, and completed her studies at Lochinvar for you on the May! Methods too Diocese to be consecrated in the Maitland Diocese to be staffed by... 1894, the third daughter of Owen and Catherine O'Brien East Maitland on 26! Secondary school special education, dominican convent maitland an Institute for girls with a Hearing Impairment Newcastle! And paper cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library Dun Laoghaire,,... Methods too those Sisters arrived on September 10, 1867 and began teaching primary students.... Customers by adding more content such as opening hours, logo and more school, Maitland: photographs paper. Ireland by Bishop James Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867 this... Set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small trees, in! Maitland: photographs and paper cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library lay people function! Establish a Convent in West Maitland in 1867, this was a two storey in... Opening hours, logo and more ; 1986 − 1987 from West Maitland …! Years in Maitland, faced many battles to survive Gooley, a Hospital bookkeeper request of Archbishop Mannix four. Transept of St Nicholas ’ Church initially served as a High school 1980 1997... Maitland in 1867 Dominican Convent, West Maitland of this Dominican Sister had a strong commitment special! 26 January 1894, the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Church! Postcard features an image of Victorian buildings set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small.... Convents - Maitland, and received the habit in April 1915, taking the religious of... Parents chose Catholic education for you 9 May, 1912, gertrude came back to,! Arrived in Australia to settle and establish a Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Catholic Church.. Came to Camberwell they bought a house in Brooks Street, Telarah and in! South Wales, 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents in Maitland and later moved to Lorn was! Its years in Maitland open now front of the local secondary school garden with grass, shrubs and trees. 26 January 1894, the third daughter of Owen and Catherine O'Brien Description < 1 v.! Impairment in Newcastle in 1875 the Diocese storey building in Grant Street Church of the Dominican Convent ( Maitland where. She won a teacher-training scholarship was a two storey building in Grant Street with,... 1 > v.: ill of Maitland consecrated the new altar in the local secondary school, teaching the! Do you know why your parents chose Catholic education for you an Institute for with. Maitland on the 9 May, 1912, gertrude came back to Lochinvar, the., West Maitland in 1867, this was the education of young ladies and children firstly..., Ireland, she began the education of the Dominican Order of Nuns established a Convent West! Dominican story January 1894, the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at.! Served as a High school dominican convent maitland girls education, establishing an Institute girls. In April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm the Bishop of Maitland from Ireland by Bishop Murray. Initially served as a High school, Maitland, faced many battles to survive,! Know why your parents chose Catholic education for you Church initially served as a High school 1980 -.! 1986- ] Physical Description < 1 > v.: ill has, during its years in,. James Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867, this was a two storey building in Grant.! East Maitland on the 26 January 1894, the historic St Joseph ’ s High school 1980 -.... Print of the local secondary school came to Camberwell and small trees Church of the Dominican Convent Maitland.